- Decrease font
- Increase font
Click here to bookmark this page
Customize your Bookmarks:
- Type the name of the page the way you would like it to appear in "My Bookmarks";
- Click in the "Add as My Bookmarks" button.
You don't have any bookmarks in our website. To choose your favorite sessions, please click here.
- Send to a friend
Founded in 1948 as a steel wool manufacturer, Bombril S.A. ("Bombril’ or "Company") is proud of its achievement of becoming the largest manufacturer of household care products in Brazil. The Company develops products in many categories, such as steel wool, sponges, dishwashing liquids, bar cleaning soaps, cleansers, disinfectants, cleaning solutions, fabric softeners, ironing sprays, liquid laundry detergent, fragrant sachets and air fresheners. Bombril’s 18 brands are responsible for a portfolio of more than 190 items found on supermarket shelves across Brazil.
Bombril has three industrial complexes (the Anchieta Unit in São Bernardo do Campo, São Paulo state, the Abreu e Lima Unit in Pernambuco state and the Sete Lagoas unit in Minas Gerais state) where each year some 428,000 metric tons of products are made by more than 2,400 employees. Once the industrial process is complete, the products are sent to innumerous points of sale throughout the country, with our brands present in more than 90% of Brazilian homes.
The credibility its products enjoy among consumers makes Bombril the absolute leader in several segments. Bombril’s growth is supported by a solid foundation. The company’s growth is focused on the long term and working closely with partners and employees. This cooperation permeates everything Bombril does, from the products it makes to the relationships it builds.
Bombril speaks openly with the public through direct, spontaneous and sincere communication. One example of this is its advertising campaign that has aired for over 30 years featuring the Bombril poster boy, one of the more endearing and best-known personalities in the history of Brazilian advertising. So it came as no surprise in 1999 that Bombril was considered the Brand of the Century by a team of advertising and marketing stars that selected the 21 brands most loved by Brazilian consumers. Of these 21 brands, only four - among them Bombril - were created and developed in Brazil.
All started on January 14th, 1948, when Roberto Sampaio Ferreira, inspired by the steel wool manufactured in the United States, invested in the idea and founded Abrasivos Bombril Ltda. The launch was a revolution for the housewives. Bombril polished pots and also cleaned glasses, tableware, tiles and fittings, and for that reason it received the concept of "1001 purposes". In that same year, they sold 48,000 units of Bombril. In the 50’s, the company was sponsoring the Circo Bombril (Bombril Circus), at TV Tupi, presented by Walter Stuart, father of film-maker Adriano Stuart. The poster girl? Elizabeth Darci, mother of sports commentator Silvio Luiz.
In 1961, Bombril incorporates the Companhia de Produtos Químicos - Fábrica Belém, owner of the brands Sapólio and Radium saponáceos em pedra, and start developing and enhance the line Sapólio Radium, including a creamy version. Before being released in Brazil, the product was only available in France, Netherlands and Belgium. In 1972, Bombril incorporates the Industria de Lã de Aço Mimosa Ltda., of Rio de Janeiro. In 1973, it was Q‘Lustro’s turns, the company that owned approximately 25% of the domestic steel wool.
In 1976, Bombril changes its production line to Brooklin District, in São Paulo, to the modern factory in São Bernardo do Campo, city next to the Capital. This unit exists until today and is considered the great house of Bombril, with a lot of good people working to innovate and put the best product on the marked.
In1978, Bombril launches the detergent Limpol. Afterwards, appeared the disinfectant (Pinho and Kalipto), the ammonia (Fort) and plastics (garbage bag and foam sponge). In the same year, actor Carlos Moreno first appeared as Bombril’s Boy and the sales of Bombril Steel Wool reach the mark of 420 million units. In 1981, dies Roberto Sampaio Ferreira, founder of Bombril, and on June 1982, it is formed the Bombril Indústria e Comércio LTDA.
In 1983, it is inaugurated Bombril Química in the City of Simões Filho (BA
- State of Bahia), and more products are launched: the Mon Bijou Clothes Softener and Bombril Steel Wool Sponge in a version with soap.
In 1984, it is the time of the inauguration of Bombril Nordeste, in the City of Recife (PE
- State of Pernambuco) and business name changes to Bombril S/A. The company now has shares traded on the Stock Exchange.
In 1987, one more opening, now Bombril Minas, in the City of Sete Lagoas (MG
- State of Minas Gerais).
In 1990, the Italian group Ferruzzi acquired two thirds of the Bombril shares and, in 1991, Cragnotti & Partners assumes control of the company stock. In 1992, Bombril Steel Wool Sponge with soap is discontinued. In 1993, Bombril enters on the market for powder soap with the release of Quanto and further increases its share in this segment with the purchase of Orniex.
In 1994, Bombril makes a strategic alliance with the Henkel Group and a technology transfer agreement for the production of powder soap. That same year, Bombril acquires the factory of soap in bar Vieira Garcez Química, from the City of Salvador (BA) and launches the Limpol Soap.
In 1995, Henkel takes 25% of Bombril‘s shares. But in 1996, the Cragnotti & Partners group takes over again the shares. In the same year, the factories of powder soap Quanto and Limpol are sold to Procter & Gamble. Also in 1996, Bombril launches Mon Bijou Softener of 2 liters, and established itself as the pioneer brand with this new "family size".
In 1998, the company completes 50 years of life. It was a year of great releases and intense activity, see it for yourself:
- Launch of Limpol Detergent in Natural and family size (1 liter) versions, for 15 years the market leader;
- Launch of new packaging of Sapólios Radium: Creamy, Powder and Stone;
- Launch of Bombril Multipurpose Cleaners and Bombril Multi Cleaning, Bombril Synthetic Sponge and Limpol Gel Detergent;
- Launch of Herbal fragrance of Kalipto;
- Creation of Pinho Bril packaging, version of 1 liter;
- Creation of labels for Mon Bijou Softener, with beautiful babies.
- Launch of website http://www.bombril.com.br
- Inaugurated the factory of detergents, disinfectants and softeners inside its unit, in Abreu e Lima, a city near to Recife (PE). Ammonia Fort is discontinued;
- The Top of Mind Research points Bombril as the Brazilian brand top of mind when they ask "What is the first brand that comes to your mind?";
- Bombril is among the 50 best companies to work in the country, according to the "Guia Exame 1998" magazine.
More innovations for consumers, more consumers to Bombril:
- Launch of Limpol Antibacterial Gel detergent with Triclosan;
- The flagship of the company, Bombril Steel Wool, gets a new look;
- Launch of two new fragrances to Kalipto line: Marine and Lavender;
- Launch on the shelves: Bombril Luxury, Bombril Mágica Steel Wool, Bombril Perfumed Cleaners, Bombril Chlorinated Gel Disinfectant Cleaner, Bombril Limo Cleaner, Bombril Degreaser and Bombril Heavy Duty Cleaner 2 liters;
- A shower full of news, with the addition of sanitary water and bleach on the market;
- Bombril is elected the ninth most recalled brand by Exame magazine;
- Bombril wins Prata e Festival (Bronze) prizes in the category "Communication Materials with the Internal and Intermediary Public of the Brazilian Festival of Promotion, Packaging and Design", of About magazine.
- Also awarded for parts "Get ready to dive in sales for the launch of Pinho Bril Marine" and "The pots from all over Brazil are already celebrating", for the new packaging of Bombril;
- Bombril brand is considered the "Brand of the Century".
In 2000, Bombril launches the promotion "Family Awarded" and raffles many prizes: diamond rings and a house in the TV Show of Hebe Camargo, aired in April on SBT Channel.
In the same year, with the promotion "Bombril winning hearts all over Brazil", the company rewards the winners with chains with gold plated pendant. Furthermore, many changes are made:
- Limpol wins new formula and new look;
- Mon Bijou Softener brings an innovative concept, the Clothes Softener with Ironing Facilitator;
- It is also created new perfumes, bottles and labels to the Fragrant Cleaners;
- The Multipurpose Synthetic Sponge II enters on the market.
In 2001, Bombril signs a licensed contract with the Ayrton Senna Institute and Senninha character becomes part of the packaging Pinho Bril. All resources proceeding from this contract are intended for social programs supported by the Institute.
In 2002, Bombril sponsors the "Big Brother Brazil". In the same year, it held a Sales Convention with the theme "Big Brother Bombril
- with an eye on the market", and takes the opportunity to present news and releases. See how many new products debuted on the market:
- Mon Bijou Spray Ironing Facilitator Purity;
- Mon Bijou Sachet Purity;
- Pinho Bril Spray with trigger and refill packaging;
- Pratice Cleaning Cloth with Multipurpose;
- Pratice 2 in 1 Cleaner
- trigger and refill;
- Pratice Heavy Duty Cleaning;
- Pratice Degreaser;
- Pratice Chlorinated Gel;
- Pratice Multipurpose;
- Pratice Perfumed Cleaner, in four versions Fresh Flowers, Gentle Breeze, Sea Breeze and Freshness of the Mountain;
- New fragrances of Deodorizers category of No Ar brand: Natural Freshness, Scent of Mountain, Lavender Branches, Essence of the East and Jasmine Petals;
- Launch of Atak Insecticide in Multi-Insecticide, Kill Flies and Mosquitoes and Kill Cockroaches versions;
- Pratice Alcohol in Gel in Neutral, Lavender and Marine fragrances;
- Bombril Cleaning Cloths: Small Surfaces, Large Surfaces and Multipurpose;
- Two versions for Creamy Sapólio Radium: Bouquet and Lavender;
- Bombril Bathroom Synthetic Sponge;
- Limpol Detergent with Glycerin, tested and approved by dermatologists;
- Mon Bijou Softener, a new formula.
All releases are presented to the public, first hand, through the informative "Bombril & You", which gives tips on cleaning, among other information, and is sent in March and September.
Bombril website competes, in 2002, for the title of Best website of Brazilian Internet and is among the TOP 10 iBest Award. The following month, the company starts to sponsor the Santos F. C., soccer team, and the Bombril Anchieta factory wins, in October, a new look.
In November, is available to employees an Internal Shop of Bombril Products. And in the war against dengue, Bombril takes part, developing and internally distributing a leaflet to combat the disease.
In 2003, Bombril innovates with Bombril Easy Steel Wool Sponge, with modern packaging and in small size. In April, they sold 77 million traditional Steel Wool Sponges and the following month, the number of sales hits a record: 79 million. Mon Bijou Clothes Softener and Pinho Bril win modern labels and strong colors.
The Synthetic Sponge appear in new packaging and start to calling Multipurpose, Anatomical Format Multipurpose, Nonstick, all in a free version and 1 bathroom sponge.
Bombril makes promotions and awards many prizes:
- "Promotion 1001Awards": 800 giveaways vouchers to buy Bombril Steel Wool and Bombril Luxury. The Prizes: 400 bikes, 200 CD players, 100 stoves and 100 micro-waves, and raffles for houses or cars to send three packages for promotion;
- The contest "Bombril takes care of your house and you", awards with beauty treatments and a trip to the City of Porto Seguro (BA);
- In "Bombril all over your home", by purchasing Steel Wool and more products, the consumer wins another product;
- Online Campaigns: Bombril doing well in the virtual world;
- "Cultural Contest Santos‘ Mascot" which offered 50 team‘s mascots;
- "Cultural Contest Bombril and PANEX", which awarded five sets of pots "Day By Day";
- Cultural Contest "International Women‘s Day", which awarded with an underwear and a Bombril Steel Wool the top 100 Internet users who answered the question "Which product has 1001 purposes?";
- "Cultural Contest Valentine‘s Day", which awarded the authors of the thirty best sentences to the question "Why Bombril is good for two?" with panties and an underwear exclusive of Bombril;
- "Cultural Contest 1001Goal" which gave an official shirt of Santos F.C. to internet users who got the name of the player who has the number 1001 Goal in the Club.
In 2005, the company launched the "Program Bombril 1001 Opportunities", to support children and teenagers from low income families who attend public schools, for the development of play activities, tutoring and preparation for the labor market.
In the same year was born the "Viva Woman Program" in partnership with the City Hall and the City of Olinda (PE) intended to the psychological, social and legal service for women and children victims of domestic violence. In the first year, they attended more than 1,500 women.
In October, the Conjunto Nacional building and the city of São Paulo wan a present: Cine Bombril. With it, the brand leaves the sphere of products for the home and goes to another level, the cultural activity, integrative.
- Ronaldo Sampaio Ferreira takes control of the company, rescuing the pioneering spirit of his father, founder of Bombril;
- By popular request, Carlinhos Moreno returns as the star of commercials and shows that he is the most beloved poster boy of Brazil;
- Women declare Carlos Moreno as part of Brazilian culture. He entered in their house asking permission and is now part of the Brazilian life, he is a companion, a friend;
- Bombril was elected one of the 100 best companies to work in Brazil, according to Great Place to Work Institute.
- Bombril and Santos Futebol Clube resume their partnership. The sponsorship entitles the logo on the shirt sleeves of the players;
- The team of Santos became Twice Champion of the State of São Paulo, Twice Champion of Brazil and had the right to dispute the Copa Libertadores da América 2008. They also won the "Best Marketing Award" and the "Mario Henrique Award";
- Bombril sponsors the stock car racers Felipe Maluhy and Tarso Marques, who run for the Copa Nextel Stock Car 2007;
- Carlos Moreno portrays Charlie Chaplin and joins the singer Nelson Ned and Pelé to promote the campaign "Everything passes. Only Bombril stays. Nobody passes without Bombril";
- Reynaldo Gianecchini and Mon Bijou act with Carlos Moreno, with Wando‘s song playing in the background in the commercial campaign "squeeze me, sniff me, call me Mon Bijou";
- Winner of the "Top of Hearth Bahia 2007", Bombril is the brand of the heart in the Steel Wool segment;
- Limpol was named one of the "Brands that I like best in 2007" and "Outstanding Brand of 2007" for 85% of housewives surveyed by the newspaper Diário de Pernambuco;
- Carlos Moreno celebrates 30 years as the most famous poster boy of Brazil and launches the book "Eterno - 1001 Anúncios da Bombril" (Eternal - 1001 Advertisements of Bombril);
- Bombril conquers the first place in the category "Home Care", double the percentage in 2006; third place in Respectability in the category of "Goods and Consumption". In the research "Companies that Most Respect Consumers", of the magazine Consumidor Moderno;
- Bombril ends the year with 73 new products, reformulating brand and packaging of 72 items, and new lines of Fort (insecticides and repellents), Limpex (cleaning cloths) and Prá-lixo (garbage bags), a total of 22 market categories, 17 brands and 183 items.
In 2008, Bombril turns 60 and celebrates the anniversary with the return of Limpol in the media, new releases and prospects of great success and innovations. However, what makes of Bombril an icon is the respect towards its employees and consumers, making them an integral part of one big family.
For fans of Lysoform, here is the good news: Bombril purchase Milana, who for more than 50 years is the manufacturer of Lysoform, worldwide symbol of cleanliness.
Bombril is always looking for acquisition opportunities in the market to grow, expand and offer more products. All this to meet its mission: "To be the greatest and best Brazilian company in hygiene and cleanliness of the country, with brands that offer a line of products that facilitate the daily lives and improve the quality of life for consumers".
Institutional campaign "Women evolved" marks the turning point of Bombril
With an investment of R$ 40 million, the company’s largest advertising campaign has brought a number of firsts in its communication: women as protagonists, younger consumers as target audience and strengthening the diverse portfolio of Bombril
A new cosmetics company was born in the Brazilian market.
Bril Cosméticos arose from the acquisition of Ecologie, a pioneer in the country in the concept of cosmetics based on natural raw materials.
Bombril sponsored the Women‘s World Cup broadcast
The Company followed the strategy of appreciation and recognition of women in different areas. The company signed sponsorship agreement for the World Cup broadcast, held in Germany, by Band (TV Network) and portal www.band.com.br.
Bombril inaugurated the Casa Bombril.
On August 30th was inaugurated an innovative social project that aims to: help professionalize the service performed by maids - through free of charges courses, promoting debates in favor of strengthening the female leading role, rescuing the history of the company and the country providing a differentiated experimentation of the brand.
Casa Bombril became the stage for the elimination round of the attraction "Brazil’s Best Maid" in the TV Show Programa Raul Gil.
Casa Bombril, innovative social project that offers free of charges courses in professional training for maids, came to TV. In a partnership between Bombril and the TV Show Programa Raul Gil, which airs every Saturday on SBT (TV Network), at 02:15 p.m., was created the attraction "Brazil’s Best Maid".
Bombril makes a brilliantly participation in the Carnival 2012
The Company celebrates the most popular festival in Brazil by sponsoring the Samba School VAI-VAI and the Bar Brahma Cabin and making advertising campaign. Bombril chose the main Brazilian cultural manifestation to strengthen the relationship with strategic customers, provide a differentiated brand experimentation, honor women and enhance the diversity of its portfolio.
Bombril closed a sponsorship action with the pilot Bia Figueiredo.
First Brazilian female to run in a top category of world motorsport. The sponsorship campaign will run during 2012 and marked the presence of the athlete in the traditional motorsport, the 500 miles of Indianapolis in May in the United States.
Bombril sponsors sustainability project, Gira Brasil
Bombril closed a partnership action with the company TKS Sustentabilidade to support the Project Gira Brasil, an artistic urban recycling movement that promises to consolidate viable means of reverse logistics, a 360º Recycling.
Bombril launches Women that Shine Contest on Programa Raul Gil on SBT.
Bombril, in partnership with Programa Raul Gil and Sony Music label, launched a talent contest to find new singers of Brazilian music. It’s the Women that Shine contest, aired on Programa Raul Gil on Saturdays at SBT, which had as winner the duo, Bruna and Keyla.
Bombril was on the small screen beside Hebe Camargo.
The company has partnered with RedeTV! to sponsor the challenge 1001 Utilities Man on the TV Show Hebe. The game encourages men to participate in housework and transform a husband who does not help in the chores in the house into a participatory and proactive man.
Bombril participates in the Building a Dream attraction on the TV Show Domingo Legal.
The company’s involvement in TV Show Domingo Legal is conducted by professionals properly uniformed, wearing overalls with the logo of Bombril Squad. They come out of a van bringing several products of the portfolio for the Bombril Cleaning Squad operation.
Bombril sponsors My Baby Mon Bijou on the TV Show Programa Eliana, on SBT
Who does not love to hear a delicious baby laugh? In partnership with TV Show Programa Eliana, Bombril presents a kit of products from the new line Mon Bijou Baby to the video with the most delicious baby laugh elected by the audience attraction.
Bombril sponsors the Brazilian version of the game show Who’s Still Standing? on Band TV Network.
One of the most exciting game shows in the world now also has the support of Bombril. The company closed a sponsorship action with the game show Who’s Still Standing?, broadcasted by Band presented by José Luiz Datena. From August to December 2012, the game show offered an extra question to the participant, the Bombril Question, whose answer refers to the universe of one of the company’s portfolio of products. The winner of the attraction also won a beautiful basket filled with Bombril products.
Launch of Women Portal
Women Portal, of Bombril, came to bring even closer the company and consumers. All initiatives, digital projects and institutional information of Bombril gathered in one space, with a single language and structure. It is the new portal Women Portal (www.bombril.com.br), totally aligned to the expectations of consumers: with modern and dynamic layout, relevant content, responsive and easy navigation mechanism and a very feminine presentation.
Bombril sponsors the football team, Corinthians, at the Copa Libertadores Final
Bombril, company benchmark in the hygiene and cleanliness market of Brazil, sponsored Corinthians in the two final matches of Copa Libertadores. The company logo was printed on the uniforms, more precisely in the shoulders.